Intention is an act of worship; it is via one’s intention that an action becomes an act of worship by which one is rewarded, and it is through one’s intention that an act of worship may become a sin whereby one is punished. The student, therefore, while traversing the path of knowledge, should always check his intention and ensure that it is as Allah wishes for His pious slaves.
The scholars stated that the student of knowledge should intend the following with his pursuit of knowledge :
- The Pleasure of Allah.
- Reward on the Day of Judgment.
- The removal of ignorance from himself.
- The removal of ignorance from others.
- Defending the Qur’an and the Sunnah.
- Thanking Allah for the blessing of intellect.
He should be wary from:
- Desiring the Dunya with his knowledge.
- Wanting the people to turn to him for knowledge.
- Desiring rank and position in the Dunya.
- Boasting with his knowledge and memorization.